Early Childhood Center

Learn to play, play to learn

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to enroll my child?

  • Please bring/Favor de traer:
    • Official Birth Certificate/Acta de Nacimiento
    • Original Proof of Residence (Mortgage Statemente or Lease and Utility bill)/Contrato de Ipoteca o Contrato de Apartamento con recibo de gas, agua, o luz
    • Proof of Income (3 months of most current pay stubs)/Comprobante de Ingresos (cheques de los últimos 3 meses)
    • Social Security Card/Seguro Social
    • Shot Record/Vacunas
    • Texas Drivers License or Photo ID/Licensia o Identificacíon con foto


If a campus principal suspects that false or misleading infromation was provided in order to register a child/children, or that a family has moved from the residence first reported to school personnel without notifying the school, the principal may request a residency check. If the child or family is suspected of not living within Deer Park ISD, the principal may request that the residence investigator investigate. If an investigation determines that a child is not entitled to membership in the Deer Park ISD because of residence, the child will be immediately withdrawn. The parent or guardian may be subject to criminal charges provided by Section 37.10 of the Texas Penal Code.
Visiting the School
Question:Is it OK to eat lunch with my child?
Answer: Absolutely! We love it when parents visit the school, and you’re more than welcome to eat lunch with us. All you have to do is arrive just prior to lunchtime, report to the office, sign in, and obtain a visitor’s badge. You can then wait near the cafeteria doors for your child’s class to arrive.

Question:What if I want to observe in the classroom?
Answer: You are welcome to observe in the classroom; however, we do ask that you make arrangements with the teacher prior to your observation. Sometimes the presence of parents can be distracting to the students, and the teacher can tell you the best time to visit.

Question:How would I go about picking up my child during the school day?
Answer: First, please check your child out during the day only when it is absolutely necessary. Believe it or not, we have so much to teach that instruction must go on until the very end of the day. You can help by making appointments after school hours whenever possible, and avoid checking out a child simply as a convenience factor. However, if you do need to check your child out of school, you must do this through the office. Let the office staff know you need your child to be sent to the office, sign your child out on the appropriate form, and please have your driver’s license or some other form of photo ID ready. Under no circumstances should parents report directly to the classroom and try to take the child without going through the office.

Question:My child’s birthday is coming up. Can I have a party in the class, bring a cake for lunch, or send flowers to school that day?
Answer: The district Student Handbook specifically states that parties, refreshments, or flowers/balloons for student birthdays are not allowed.

Becoming Involved

Question:How can I go about becoming a parent volunteer?
Answer: Volunteer applications are available in the front office, or you can contact Jenny Martinez at (832) 668-8390 for more information on becoming a volunteer.

Question:Does our school have a parent organization, and how can I join?
Answer: Yes, our school has a PTO (Parent Teacher Organization). The PTO Executive Board meets regularly to discuss ways to support the school. The PTO also acts as an advisory group for the principal. If you are interested in learning more about how to become involved in PTO, simply contact Jenny Martinez at (832) 668-8390.

Question:Does our school have any sort of campus decision-making committee, and are parents allowed to participate?
Answer: Our school has a Campus Improvement Committee (CIC) that meets monthly to make decisions that affect the school as a whole, such as budget, staffing and curriculum issues. The CIC is also often asked to provide input to the district-level decision-making committee. The CIC is made up of teachers, administrators, community members, business leaders and parents. Meetings are open to anyone who would like to observe the process.
Attendance and the School Calendar
Question:What is your policy on attendance?
Answer: Students must be in school every day unless they are ill or have another excused absence. School districts are required to monitor student attendance and take action if attendance falls below the mandatory level. According to school policy, students are required to be in attendance at least 90% of the time. Excessive absences can also be referred to the truancy officer and/or the legal system for prosecution.
Question:What if my child has been to the doctor, and then reports to school later in the day?
Answer: If you have visited the doctor that day and bring verification from the doctor’s office, your child will be counted present regardless of what time you arrive.
Working with Teachers

Question:What should I do if I need to talk to the teacher?
Answer: Obviously, teachers can’t take phone calls during class time. The best thing to do is call the office and request that the teacher return your call. If what you want to discuss is too lengthy to take care of in a phone call, the teacher can set up a conference with you.

Question:Can I e-mail the teacher?
Answer: Yes, in fact many teachers appreciate it when parents use this form of communication. You can access a teacher’s e-mail address through the directory portion of this website.

Question:What should I do if I don’t agree with a class policy or have a concern about something?
Answer: The first and most important step you can take is to get in touch with the teacher and present your concerns openly and honestly. If something that is going on in the classroom is being perceived negatively by you or your child, that is something every teacher wants to know. Teachers appreciate the opportunity to hear from your directly, and most of the time problems can be worked out at that level. If, however, you still have a concern after talking with the teacher, you may contact the principal or assistant principal.

Additional Questions

Who handles heath issues at school?

Students are Deer Park Early Childhood Center's most valuable resource. Our school has a registered nurse, Lisa Todd, who specializes in the identification, assessment, prevention, and intervention to remedy or modify students' health needs.She maintains immunization records, conducts mandated health screenings and facilitates communication with parents/guardians when needed.

Do we enroll students who do not reside in this district?

  No we do not. You must reside in the district to attend PreK or PPCD programs.

Does DPECC have a library?

   Yes. DPECC has a fully fuctioning library with new books for students to check out each week. Library & information science lessons are part of the curriculum.

Can a child who is five years of age on September 1 be enrolled in prekindergarten?

     A child who is five years of age on September 1 of the current school year is not eligible for enrollment in prekindergarten. TEA (Texas Education Agency) positionis that children who reach age fice on September 1 are most appropriately served in kindergarten, and that the law specifically established the prekindergarten program to serve students who have not reached age five.